Wheeling Winter Youth Basketball Program
Register now for Wheeling Park District Winter Youth Basketball!
Registration Deadline: January 20
Click here to register.
Grade levels must practice together in order to play intra-team scrimmages according to current Illinois Department of Health Sports Safety Guidelines. Group size will not exceed 20 players. The same players will practice and play together each week. Players will meet every Saturday for an hour and 15 minutes. Due to current guidelines, we have limited spots available for each day/grade level and participants. Register early to ensure your spot in the program.
Practices will be dedicated entirely to skill development followed by a coach-controlled scrimmage. All players must have a Wheeling Park District a reversible jersey. Basketballs will be available to use during the program, but players are encouraged to provide their own ball.
Per IDPH guidelines in the Phase 4 All Sports Guidelines we are limited to the number of people that can be in the gym. This program will be a drop-off and pick-up program.
All Youth Basketball will meet at the Community Recreation Center.
Kindergarten Program – Players will play with lower rims (8 ft) and use a smaller basketball (Rookie Size 3 25in) to promote confidence and ensure success for every participant. The basic skills of basketball, sportsmanship, teamwork and fun are the focus for this program. Kindergarteners will meet every Saturday at 8:30am in the CRC.
1st & 2nd Grade Boys and Girls Program – Players will play with lower rims (8 ft) and use a smaller basketball (Junior Size 5 27.5in) to promote confidence and success for every participant. The basic skills of basketball, sportsmanship, teamwork and fun are the focus for this program. This program emphasizes fundamentals and skill development over competition.
3rd & 4th Grade Boys and Girls Program – Players will play with lower rims (9 ft) and use an intermediate basketball (Size 6 28.5) Basics skills, rules of the game, teamwork and fun are the focus for this program. More game rules are enforced during scrimmages so the kids can get a better understanding of the game rules to help prepare them for older divisions.
5th - 6th Grade Program – This program uses 10 ft rims and an Intermediate 28.5 size basketball and will have little restrictions when playing the game. Further skill development to help players succeed with the sport and fun will be the focus of this program. Program may be combined to COED if not enough enrollment.
|Kindergarten Girls||Saturday 8:30-9:30am||1/30 -3/20||$75/$85||103219-01|
|Kindergarten Boys||Saturday 8:30-9:30am||1/30 -3/20||$75/$85||103220-01|
|1-2 Grade Girls||Saturday 9:30am-10:45am||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103219-02|
|1-2 Grade Boys||Saturday 9:30am-10:45am||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103220-02|
|3-4 Grade Girls||Saturday 11am-12:15pm||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103219-03|
|3-4 Grade Boys||Saturday 11am-12:15pm||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103220-03|
|5-6 Grade Girls||Saturday 12:30-1:45pm||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103219-04|
|5-6 Grade Boys||Saturday 12:30-1:45pm||1/30 -3/20||$85/$95||103220-04|
Youth Basketball Program Health & Safety Measures
Mask Requirements will follow the current Illinois Department of Health Sports Safety Guidelines.
- Face Coverings – Must be worn at all times following the current Illinois Department of Health Sports Safety Guidelines.
- We encourage parents to buy their child their own basketball.
- Wheeling Park District will supply equipment (balls and cones) but it will be shared equipment that is sanitized by Park District Staff after each use.
- All participants and spectators should wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after each activity.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the gym to use for participants and coaches.
- Players should try and maintain 6 feet apart on the bench.
- Intra-Team Scrimmage and practice times will be staggered allowing for time for gym to clear before a new group may enter. Arrive no more than 5 minutes prior to your scheduled start time.
- Please use the marked entrances to enter and exit for the program. The main entrance to the CRC is the only entrance available.
- If you arrive to the gym and the prior group is still using the facility please do not enter until they have left.
- No team snacks or drinks at any time.
- No team huddles. Team meetings should be conducted such that the coaches and all participants are at least 6 ft. a part.
- No unnecessary contact with players, including high fives, fist bumps, etc.