The Wheeling Park District conducted a Community Attitude and Interest Survey in 2015 to establish and confirm priorities for the future development of parks and recreation facilities, programs, and services within the community. Three hundred and six households completed the survey, resulting in statistically valid survey results with a maximum margin of error of +/- 5.6% (at 95% confidence level).
The survey covered the community’s recreation and park usage and preferences.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- 81% of the residents have a favorable rating of the Wheeling Park District. This compares to the state average of 76%.
- 71% of residents are satisfied with the availability of recreational activities and facilities.
- 72% of residents use a Wheeling Park District facility, with:
- 56% of residents using the Community Recreation Center
- 32% of residents using Heritage Park
- 22% of residents using Chevy Chase Country Club
- 19% of residents using the Family Aquatic Center
- 88% of residents are satisfied with Wheeling Park District programs and events.
- 62% of residents participated in Park District Special Events.
- Top resident needs for Park/Recreational facilities are:
- Trails for walking/biking
- Indoor fitness facility
- Nature Center
- Indoor Pool
- Top resident priorities for Programs/Events are:
- Outdoor summer concerts, movies, etc…
- Weekend family events/festivals
- Learning programs for all ages
- Top Strengths of the Wheeling Park District:
- Good activities / programs
- Pools / Family Aquatic Center
- Well-maintained parks
- Fitness Center
- Heritage Park
- 84% of residents are aware and satisfied with park improvements in their neighborhood.
Executive Summary PDF