CRC Expansion and Renovation Project (updated 1/16/18)
Community Recreation Center expansion to address growing community needs
While the Community Recreation Center (CRC) has served the community well, the needs of the community are changing. With the construction of Town Center, Northgate Crossing and other new developments, and the relocation of Village of Wheeling senior services full-time to the CRC beginning January 2018, the Park District is experiencing a growing demand for fitness and programming space at the CRC.
The current cost estimate of the project is around $16.9 million. The majority of the funding will come from the Park District Capital Project Fund. The Park District will not issue a referendum seeking additional financial support from the community, nor will the District seek a higher tax increase. Should the overall CRC project budget be approved by the Park District Board of Commissioners, the project plan will move forward immediately. It is expected to take 18 months to complete the entire project. This will be a phased project allowing programming and services to continue throughout the duration of construction.
- Improved atmosphere through greater visibility and openness
- Additional fitness machines with more comfortable spacing
- Adequate area for stretching, personal training, and assessment
- Space for group exercise classes within the Fitness area
- New fitness area locker rooms
- Improved drop-off location and traffic flow
- Dedicated and restricted entrance for preschool participants only
- Transition space outside for classrooms
- Modernized classroom features keeping pace with current educational trends
- Increased community open gym time
- Additional league and tournament space
- Large-group programming space
- Redesign of entryway for improved visibility of the Guest Service area
- Separate entrance into Fitness area to potentially increase hours of operation
- Additional dedicated programming space on the first level of the CRC
The Wheeling Park District is currently receiving bids for the Community Recreation Center (CRC) Renovation and Expansion Project. Bid documents are available beginning Tuesday, January 16. Bids must be submitted by Friday, February 16. The Park District Board of Commissioners will wait to give final approval until all bids are received and reviewed.
On Thursday, September 14, the Village of Wheeling Planning Commission approved the height variance to exceed the maximum allowed height of 30 feet
by 6-9 feet.Initial site plans and building designs show a remodeled entry space of about 39 feet, and a second gym reaching 36 feet. Images
of the site plane and exterior renderings of the expansion may be viewed here:
CRC Renovation Images.pdf