The Wheeling Park District Preschool staff are qualified, experienced teachers who pride themselves on creating a warm, sensitive, safe, and educational environment. A ratio of one experienced teacher for every eight children is maintained. Teachers attend yearly conferences to keep up-to-date on the latest standards and trends and are always bringing new ideas to their daily classroom activities.
- Learning Centers for math, writing, reading, art, science, computer activities, and dramatic play
- Colorful, imaginative designs
- Toddler/youth-sized restroom facilities in each classroom
- Fully accessible and ADA compliant outdoor playground adjacent to the Preschool classrooms
- Indoor gymnasium
- All children registering for the 2018-2019 Preschool programs must meet the age requirement for the class, meaning a birthday prior to September 1, 2018 (or between September 1 and December 31, 2018, for the two- to three-year-old program).
- A completed registration form with class choice(s) and a copy of the child’s birth certificate must be on file.
- A $25 registration fee is due at the time of registration.
- The Preschool payment plan is for September through May
- Current students in the two-year-old and three-year-old programs will be given priority registration during the spring registration drive.
- Up-to-date medical forms and a copy of your child's birth certificate must be on file prior to the first day of attendance
Almost Three - Just Like Me
Children who turn three between September 1 and December 31, 2018
If your child has a "late" birthday, get a head start in our Preschool. Teachers developed this program to encourage the transition from home to school that includes an introduction to group activities, following directions, and social skills. All of this serves to support the "learning through play" philosophy.
Must be three years of age prior to September 1, 2018
The three-year-old program is designed for a child ready to flourish in a school setting. Our program stresses socialization, cooperative play, fine motor skills, sharing, and following directions. Choose from a two-day per week or three-day per week class option.
Start Smart Pre-K
Must be four years of age prior to September 1, 2018
The four-year-old curriculum develops skills needed for entering kindergarten in area school districts. Our program is based on suggestions and input from School District #21 kindergarten teachers and stresses the development of independence and cognitive skills through learning centers, structured activities, socialization, cooperative and dramatic play, and sharing.
In this final step before kindergarten, make sure your eager learner is as prepared as possible!